Saturday, January 1, 2011

Eleven Books That Will Change Your Life in 2011

I read a lot.  In the last three years a lot of that reading has been focused on the Self Improvement genre.  Just writing that makes me feel a little like I should be on a couch somewhere trying to understand why my childhood is the root of all of my problems.  Self improvement as I see it though involves understanding how your own mind and body work, and how you can use that knowledge to make your life into the one you want to have instead of the one that you have.  Of course that statement assumes that you are unhappy with at least some aspect of your life.  If you are and are interested in changing a few things hopefully I can save you some time with the book list below.

1.  The Four Hour Work Week - This book set a new standard for self improvement.  If you want to become a renegade entrepreneur Tim can help you.  If you just want to free up as much of your time as possible and free yourself to be anywhere you want to be he can help you with that too.  If nothing else this book will convince you to challenge your assumptions and eliminate things in your life that are dragging you down.  This is the book that got me started re-examining my life.

2.  Outliers - All of Malcolm Galdwell's writing is worth reading but this one is particularly interesting.  His analysis of success and successful people finds hard work, persistence, and timing to be the true recipe.  Do you want to be world class at something?  Spend 1000 hours of dedicated practice on it and you have a good shot regardless of your ability.  Do you want to be a successful hockey player?  If you were not born in the first three months of the year you have an uphill battle.  Read the book if you want to understand that one.

3. How We Decide - This book woke me up to the reality that intuition is just another kind of thinking.  There are processes that go on behind the scenes in our heads that are faster and more accurate than the ones we think we can control.  Understanding the implications behind the neuroscience can forever alter how you look at the world and the sometimes confusing decisions that

4.  Spark - I used to work out because I thought I needed to keep my body in shape.  If things slid a little bit though, I did not sweat it too much.  A little extra flab won't kill me, right?  Then I read this book and found out that not exercising has serious effects on my brain as well.  That gave me a whole new kind of motivation. Skipping is no longer an option.

5.  The Four Hour Body - This is the newest book on the list and to be honest I have not read the whole book yet.  What I have read however has blown away assumptions that I have had for years regarding what is required to take control of your physical appearance and performance.  I am sure this one will have lots of haters, but they all have the option of not taking Tim's latest advice.

6.  The Art of Non-Conformity - Chris Guillibeau is one of my heroes now.  Anyone who drops out of high school as a sophomore because he was bored then proceeds to convince JuCo admissions that he really does not need  a diploma to take classes, then repeats that trick a few times with the end result being two degrees by the time the rest of his class finished their senior year get my respect.  His encouragement to rebel is irresistible.

7.  Drive - Dan Pink turns the whole concept of motivation on its head in this book.  It turns out that according to studies motivating people with rewards is a losing proposition.  The real interesting part is that after you have read the book you will try to tell yourself that you knew it all along; that it is all very much common sense.

8. Tribes - Seth uses this little book to lay out why we need leaders not managers and how small, dedicated groups are changing the world.  Then he invites you to become one and tells you how.

9.  Linchpin - My favorite concept in this book is the "Lizard Brain"  This is how Seth describes the fear of taking action to create something.  Read the book and he will teach you to be indispensable.

10.  That's Not What I Meant - Ever wonder why you get into an argument with your significant other every time you try to figure out where to eat?  Have you ever been floored when someone reacts in a completely unexpected way to something that you have said?  Do you get frustrated in conversations with people who simply will not let you get a word in?  This book will help explain why these things happen.

11.  Predictably Irrational - We are all irrational.  Dan Ariely can prove it to you.  The weird thing is you can know it but you still can't change it.  This book can't give you control over your irrational behaviors,  but at least it can help you to understand them a little better.  

Do you have any to add to the list?  Have you read the books and disagree?  Let me know in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment